Almond & honey pastries with orange cream
Serve these prepare-ahead puds with coffee, dessert wine or fresh mint tea for a real after-dinner treat
- 200 g whole blanched almond toasted and roughly chopped
- 85 g icing sugar plus extra to serve
- 85 g butter melted
- 2 tsp orange flower water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 no egg yolk
- 190 g pack brik pastry
- 2 tbsp clear honey to serve
- 1 no orange zest
- 300 g Greek yogurt
- 300 ml tub double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar sifted
- Set aside a quarter of the almonds. Put the rest in a food processor with the icing sugar, half the butter, orange blossom water, cinnamon and egg yolk. Whizz to a paste. Scrape into a bowl and stir in most of the remaining chopped nuts.
- Unroll one sheet of brik pastry at a time, brush all over with melted butter and halve into 2 semi-circles. Shape 1 heaped tbsp of the nut mixture to look like a thin wedge shape along half the pastry edge you’ve just cut (leaving 2.5cm border on the rounded side), so it looks as if you’re cutting the semi-circle of pastry into pieces like a cake. Roll up like a pastry cone, sealing the nut mixture inside, then brush all over with more butter and fold over the open, wide end to seal. Sit on a baking tray, end flap side down to help it stay closed, and repeat until nut mixture is used up. Cover with cling film and chill. Put zest, yogurt, cream and icing sugar in a mixing bowl. Cover and chill.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6, put the pastries in and bake for 15 mins until golden and crisp. Just before they’re ready, beat together the yogurt mixture until thick. Pile pastries onto a serving dish, drizzle with honey and scatter with remaining nuts. Serve with the orange cream and Honeyed orange & grapefruit (see ‘Goes well with’).
Nutrition Amount per serving – Calories: 397, Total Fat: 32g, Saturated Fat: 14g, Sodium: 0.26mg, Total Carbohydrate: 21g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 13g, Protein: 7g