Honeyed peach & pistachio Pavlova
Master the art of meringue and gain a kitchen skill for life. This pudding is topped with vanilla, cooked peaches and Greek yogurt
- 5 large egg whites
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 100 ml clear honey plus 2 tbsp
- 5 no ripe but firm peaches peeled if you like, and thickly sliced
- 300 ml pot double cream
- 1 pod seeds from vanilla or 2 tsp vanilla bean paste with seeds
- 200 ml pot Greek yogurt
- 85 g pistachio roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Using a 20cm plate or cake tin as a template, draw a circle on a large sheet of baking parchment, flip it over and place on a large baking tray. When ready, dot a blob of raw meringue onto each corner of the baking tray and put the baking parchment on top – this way it won’t slip.
- In a well-cleaned, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric hand whisk until they form stiff peaks. Add the caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, continuing to whisk as you go. The meringue will start to get thick and glossy. Add the brown sugar in the same way, continue whisking for another 1-2 mins until really thick and holding stiff, shiny peaks on the end of your whisk. Now add the cornflour and vinegar, and give a final whisk until smooth.
- Using a large metal spoon, pile the meringue onto the parchment-lined tray, using the circle template as a guide to create a symmetrical circle. Use the spoon to make a dip in the middle (this will hold your cream and fruit later) and a few spikes of meringue around the edges. Place in the centre of the oven, shut the door and immediately turn the temperature down to 140C/120C fan/ gas 1. Cook the meringue for 1 hr 10 mins, then turn the oven off and leave until completely cold (best done overnight).
- For the topping, put the 100ml honey in a wide frying pan and heat until saucy. Add the peach slices and cook for 1-2 mins on each side, over quite a high heat, until the peaches are sticky but still holding their shape. Cool completely.
- Just before you are ready to serve, assemble the Pavlova. Tip the cream, vanilla and remaining honey into a bowl. Whisk until it just holds soft peaks, then add the yogurt and, using a spatula, fold together until combined. Spoon the cream into the centre of the meringue and swirl it out towards the edges. Top with the sticky peaches and any saucy bits from the pan, and sprinkle over the pistachios.
Nutrition Amount per serving – Calories: 392, Total Fat: 22g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Sodium: 0.1mg, Total Carbohydrate: 43g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 43g, Protein: 5g