Salted honey fudge & chocolate tart
Layer salted caramel and thick chocolate cream on a chocolate pastry base and top with crunchy honeycomb for a dessert with a difference
- 500 g pack sweet shortcrust pastry
- 3 tbsp cocoa plus extra for rolling and dusting
- 2 tsp clear honey
- ½ tsp good-quality sea salt
- honeycomb crumbled to serve (optional, see goes well with)
- crème fraîche or single cream to serve
- 140 g set honey
- 140 g butter diced
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400 g dark chocolate broken into chunks
- 300 ml double cream
- Dice the pastry into chunks and put in a food processor. Sift over the cocoa, drizzle over the honey, then pulse to combine into a chocolate pastry (see tip box, below left). Roll out the dough on a lightly cocoa-dusted work surface, big enough to line a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin with a little overhang. Cover and chill for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Scrunch up a big sheet of baking parchment and use to line the tart tin. Fill with baking beans and bake for 15-20 mins until sandy and the sides are firm. Remove the beans and paper, and bake for a further 5-15 mins until really biscuity. Trim off the overhang and cool.
- Put the honey fudge ingredients into a small pan and warm gently until the butter has completely melted. Bring to a gentle simmer and bubble, stirring, for 4-5 mins until more golden coloured and thickened. Stir in ¼-½ tsp good salt (to taste), then pour into the tart case. Chill for 30 mins.
- For the topping, mix the chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Gently melt, stirring occasionally, until combined. Cool for 5 mins, then pour into the tart case gently, covering the honey layer. Chill until ready to serve.
- Remove from the fridge 10 mins before serving, to soften a little. Dust with cocoa and scatter with a little crumbled honeycomb, if you like, then serve with dollops of crème fraîche or a jug of cream.
Nutrition Amount per serving – Calories: 814, Total Fat: 61g, Saturated Fat: 36g, Sodium: 0.8mg, Total Carbohydrate: 55g, Dietary Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 35g, Protein: 7g